I remember precisely when I was listening to this show. I was 23, spending a few days on holiday at my dad’s farm and locked myself in the bathroom, in the summer heat, doing push-ups. The little radio was on the iron table, and the little blue notebook was near. I was doing my gym while listening and grooving to the songs and rushing to my pen when the guy on the radio was giving the tittle of a specific song. And I kept telling myself : "Imagination ? That beat is sooooo slow".
1) EVELINE KING : "I’m In love"
Well, it starts as a torture : one my fave songs of all time.
2) ODYSSEY : "Going Back To My Roots"
Those girls have AFRICA all over their smiles
3) STARS ON 45
4) EVASIONS : "Wikka Wrap"
The long version of this typically British smash. I was really pro British funk.
5) IMAGINATION : "Body Talk"
And not to mention it was so gay too.
6) QUINCY JONES : "Razzmatazz"
So Quincy was cornering the market with the jazzy stuff while making huge hit for the Jackson. Clever.
7) MICHAEL JACKSON : "One Day In Your Life"
MJ gets all gooooooooey.
8) BB&Q Band : "On The Beat"
Ah, this is more like it. We loved that in the clubs.
9) RANDY CRAWFORD : "You Might Need Somebody"
I love that voice, that woman, the stuff she stands for.
10) TOM TOM CLUB : "Wordy Rappinghood"
I don’t know why this song always bugged me. Too white. It’s like Eminem ages before.
11) BOB MARLEY : "No Woman No Cry"
This is a huge song.
13) GINO SOCCIO : "Try It Out"
Always so beautifully crafted and produced. This guy was so with it, the LP covers and all that.
14) CARL CALTON : "She’s a Bad Mama Jamma"
A big radio number.
15) KID CREOLE : "Me No Pop I"
The guy was one of a kind.
16) SMOKIE : ?
17) LINX : "Throw Away The Key"
Not their best single, but the thing, they were so popular as British that anything they did was going to the charts.
19) BARRY BIGGS : "Love On A Two Way Street"
Sweet lover’s rock.
20) GRACE JONES : "Pull Up to The Bumper"
The sound of NY
21) THELMA HOUSTON : "If You Feel It"
Mama does it again
22) KENI BURKE : "Let Somebody Love You"
Sweet Keni. Let yourself wave to this one.
23) KOOL & THE GANG : "Steppin’ Out"
A mashup of many other songs but still I like it.
24) SHAKATAK : "Brazilian Dawn"
It’s a bit too much I think.
25) THE JACSONS : "Walk Right Now"
Cornering the market ! To me anyway, this is the best MJ album.
26) SHARON REDD : "Can You Handle It"
Gay people had something special with her.
27) HI GLOSS : "You’ll Never Know"
Great mellow groove with an Herb Alpert clap.
29) CHAMPAIGN : "How ’Bout Us"
30 : CLINT EASTWOOD : "A Tribute to General Echo"
Get ready for the dub !